Friday, May 17, 2013

Average Day


I just wanted to give people a taste of an average day for me thus far.  Most mornings I wake up pretty early, around 5 or 6am, and pack up the gear and hit the road.  I try to get a few miles under my belt to loosen and warm up.  I take a few minutes to eat a little breakfast or if I am near a town will go to a local cafe and get an amazing hot meal.  I'll talk with anyone interested in learning more about the trip that I meet along the roads, trails, and towns.  Since I am not following a specific plan I tend to ask people I meet along the way for directions and tips.  I take these suggestions as God pointing me in the right direction.  My goal is to walk at least 20 miles per day if possible but yesterday I did 37 (and I'm feeling it today!).  I tend to pray a lot during these miles.  By evening time I start to look for a place to set up camp and settle down for the night.  It always feels good to rest the back and lay down.  I usually do a little Scripture reading and think of the day's trials, blessings, etc.  Sometimes I'll even sing to myself, only if it's a remote place...  Ha ha!  The body is now getting used to the miles and they are coming easier and easier.  Once over 20 miles the body really starts to feel the weight of the backpack.  I can honestly say that without prayer, any miles over 20 would be very difficult!  I have been blessed with amazing weather so far!  I do not plan to hitchhike, unless I need water, food, etc.  I will, on occasion, accept a ride if offered, for a couple reasons:  1.)  There are some stretches of road that do not have access to ANY water that are very hard to cover in a day or two and 2.)  If the Holy Spirit or my conscience tells me to accept a ride, I take it as a sign that I should for reasons that I may not yet know or will never come to know.  I can say that the prayers being said for this pilgrimage by all of you are certainly being answered.  Please continue.  I will do my best to keep this blog as up to date as possible.
God bless.

P.S.  I almost stepped on a rattlesnake today by accident.  Yep.

Also, here is the latest SPOT tracking beacon update of my location (I know the markers earlier in the trip are being erased by the SPOT web site so I will see what I can do to resolve that issue):  http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0RqaCWQXIjE7D4bXX0MBtk3Xsm7XdnCAL

No comments:

Post a Comment