Monday, May 20, 2013

The Latest

Well, I am 365 miles and 774,445 steps into the journey.  I just crossed into Idaho and it feels good to have covered some ground.  Last night, Saturday, May 28th, I slept up in the mountains near Unity, Oregon at about 5,000 feet in elevation.  It got a little chilly and felt good to get moving in the morning.  I woke up and realized I was still about 60 miles from Vale, Oregon (which is near the Idaho border) and wondered how I would ever make it to Sunday Mass (gotta keep holy the Sabbath, right?).  The third car that passed me pulled over and asked if I needed a ride.  They brought me all the way to Vale and dropped me off at a Catholic Church as one came into view.  Not knowing if I had missed Mass or not, I walked up to the entrance and found out that the only Mass that day was starting in 15 minutes...  Every day of this journey has provided little miracles like this.  After Mass a couple by the name of Rick and Jane asked me to come over for breakfast.  Let's just say that this much needed breakfast, consisting of pancakes and bacon, was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had!  They showed me around the farm and Rick walked me to the backroads to send me on my way.  He gave me some wisdom for the road that was good to hear!  I am very blessed to be able to say I have met the two of them.  I want to thank them for their hospitality and generosity.  They also have some friends that reside East of where they live and got me set up for a home-cooked dinner and a place to pitch my tent that night too!  Thank you Paul, Joanne, and family!  What a GREAT Sunday it turned out to be after waking up cold and wondering if I would even make it to Sunday Mass.  This is how God surprised me on His day of rest.

11 comments:

  1. Dan, that's incredible. It's hard to imagine the ups and downs that you've experienced and will continue to experience on this journey. I'm glad you're keeping us updated. I hope you have time to keep a personal journal as well. I'm sure you're going to have so many great (and likely some not so great) memories that you won't remember without writing them down. Keep on keepin on. Godspeed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are just too perfect to be a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, it was great meeting you today! And I'm so glad that I was able to help a little bit. More importantly, your story has given me an extra spiritual boost! Very glad to follow your journey online, and my family will keep your safety and overall well-being in our prayers. And yes, no coincidence. Heavenly Father knows you and your journey. He will place you and those you meet in the same path. God bless you, Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God gives us so much more than we ever expect. Your Sunday is just another proof of that fact. It is amazing to see how God is not only responding to your needs, but also the prayers of those who are following your journey. All of these "coincidences" and the people you encounter along the way are a very real and physical expression of God's love. Pretty darn amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your travels are going well. I read one of them that you almost stepped on a snake did you kill it and skin it for some snake skinned boots hahaha. Just wanted to let you know my family is praying for you. keep on keeping on.

    "life's a garden dig it" -Joe dirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Funny stuff, Pigeon. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for checking in! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan,
    Thank you for your journey and spending the night in our backyard. You are an inspiration to all of us. I have shared your story and website with many friends and co-workers. They are all impressed. I also shared your journey with many of my students and one student said you are a "modern day Apostle" share Christ's word all across the US. We will be watching your progress! Craters of the Moon is a unique part of Gods World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to hear words of encouragement like that. Thanks for sharing. Keep me in your prayers and I'll keep you and your students, friends, and co-workers in mine too!

      Delete