Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Oasis in the Desert



Welcome back and thank you for checking in.  I am going to write a little summary of some of the latest happenings, but if you haven't had a chance to look at some of the previous posts, please do.  One that I feel especially strong about is the one titled 'Unity'.

Now for a little update, some pictures and videos, and the latest SPOT tracking beacon location and Google Earth map (I am cramming a lot into this one post but it's been a few days so it's due):

This past Saturday was day 35 since starting this journey way back in Seaside, OR.  I have walked about 880 miles and 2,000,000 footsteps at this point.  It rained the previous night, and as I packed up in the morning my gear was getting soaked.  As I walked out of this hidden oasis (where I was camped) at the Ayres Natural Bridge Park in Wyoming (this was located about a mile South of the Oregon Trail and was often visited by emigrants traveling West (In 1843, a pioneer described it as "a natural bridge of solid rock, over a rapid torrent, the arch being regular as tho' shaped by art.")), I was blessed with sunshine to dry everything out.

Thereafter, I walked into the town of Douglas, WY.  After 35 days of walking you really look forward to hitting a town.  It makes time go so much faster!  You are able to keep the brain busy with looking at your surroundings, listening to different noises, people watching, different smells, etc.  After running a few errands I decided to stop at an ice cream parlor to get some dairy and much needed calories.  A nice woman by the name of Nina paid for my ice cream without me knowing.  What a blessing this was!  There are so many nice people in this world.  I sat and slowly ate the ice cream, smiling after each bite and trying to savor every taste.

That afternoon I was lucky enough to get to confession and Saturday evening Mass.  Afterwards I was invited to enjoy dinner with Fr. Steve, Fr. Andrew (from Poland), and Dr. Kathy.  I was also able to get a shower for the first time in 11 days...  let's just say it was needed.  I was also able to wash my clothes for first time in close to 2 weeks.  The clothes could almost stand on there own with all the sweat and dirt (it's easy to take a washing machine for granted).

As I sat and enjoyed a 5 course European-style meal, I was forced to slow down my eating and check my manners.  I am used to shoveling the food in because I am so hungry on this trip.  I was also able to join in and listen to some good intellectual conversation (these friends were well studied).  This was somehow very relaxing after having talked to myself for past few days to pass the time.  I can also say it was interesting to hear my friends share bits of conversation in Italian and Polish.  This was a different scene than what I am used to of late.

When I awoke the following morning I put on my shirt and smelled the 'clean' of my clothes.  I simply smiled and tried to remember the short-lived smell.  I was able to attend Sunday morning Mass before hitting the road and they had music!  I got to listen to the choir warm up for about an hour prior to Mass.  As I sat in the back, the first song they sang was Amazing Grace, a song I had been trying to remember for the past few days on the road (a nice little gift).  I could have listened to them for hours giving glory and honor to our Lord.    

Some pictures:

I guess I am getting my Vitamin D out here...

Luke 10:19 comes to mind I suppose...

And some videos:






And the latest SPOT tracking beacon location and Google Earth map:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0RqaCWQXIjE7D4bXX0MBtk3Xsm7XdnCAL



Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will. (Luke 2:14)
We praise you, we bless you, we adore you, we glorify you,
we give you thanks for your great glory, (Rev 7:12)
Lord God, heavenly King, O God, almighty Father (Rev 19:6)
Lord Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son, (2 John 3)Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father,
you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us; (John 1:29)
you take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer;
you are seated at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. (Rom 8:34)
For you alone are the Holy One, (Luke 4:34)
you alone are the Lord, you alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ, (Luke 1:32)
with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father, Amen (John 14:26)

2 comments:

  1. Love the stories and pictures, Daniel! Keep them coming and keep your spirits high on your journey! And I know I've mentioned this before, but keep up with journal entries and pictures as much as you can, even if their not blogged, so you can remember it all years from now. (I've already forgotten much of my 3 months in Paris back in 2008, so I'm glad I have 2gigs of pictures and video to look back on!)

    On a different note, I'll be on a journey of my own this weekend. I'll be racing motorcycles competitively for the first time. While you're saying prayers, say one for my safety will you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. Thoughts and prayers. I wouldn't mind one of those motorcycles right about now... I'd sure cover some ground! Thanks for the wise advice about journey.

      Delete