Thursday, June 6, 2013

Prayers for the Journey

I just thought I would share two prayers that I have been saying in the early morning hours when I first wake.  Through them our Lord gives me strength to start the day:

“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”
-Thomas Merton

And the second:

May the Almighty and merciful Lord direct us on the road of peace and prosperity, and may the Angel Raphael be our companion on our journey; so that we may return to our home and loved ones with peace, refreshment, and all joy. Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, have mercy on us. Lord, have mercy on us. Let us pray: O God, Who led the children of Israel safely through the Red Sea, and guided the Wise Men by a star to the Saviour; grant us, we beseech Thee, safe journey and favorable weather; so that, under the guidance of Thy Holy Angels, we may safely reach our destination and, in due time, the gate of eternal salvation. Through the same Christ Our Lord.
Amen.

St. Christopher, patron of travelers, pray for us.

7 comments:

  1. Daniel those are beautiful prayers and I appreciate you sharing them with us! Someone recently asked me if I was worried as you are making this journey alone and I thought NO I am not worried, for YOU ARE NOT ALONE! We know you have God with you every step and the angels and saints protecting you along the way! What a witness! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord is alive and well. Thanks, Mom.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I got a chance to meet you today at the ice cream parlor! You are so very welcome for what I've done but its nothing compared to what you're doing (: There's a lot of people out there that need you to be the one to touch their lives. I hope you have a safe journey and God bless (:
    -Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for sharing part of this trip with me. I will walk with you in my thoughts and prayers,
      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Your mother said it best, and I second that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck young man with your journey. I wish you safe passages and hope that banana split is sitting ok for the long trek. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can one go wrong with a banana split? Thank you for sharing your time with me. It's all the people I meet along the way are what make this trip so special.
      Thank you and God bless

      Delete