Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Road to Emmaus

The miles have been getting somewhat easier as I go.  I have now entered into Wyoming.  I am in the high country of Grand Teton National Park which is amazing as you can imagine.  My average miles per day have been getting higher.  A usual day consists of about 20-40 miles.  Some days the miles fly by and others I hit a wall after just 5 (miles).  I can honestly say that without prayer there is no way I could complete this walk.  The first three weeks of the trip I was blessed with incredible weather.  The last few days have been rainy on and off which make me really appreciate the dry days.  My feet are definitely getting tougher.  My friend Reid would call them "Hobbit" feet now.  As much joy as God has given me throughout this journey, I must say that I will enjoy it when I near the East coast.  I miss family and friends, but it is all part of the sacrifice.

Like Jim from Forest Lake, MN replied in one of my posts, our lives are like the road to Emmaus (Luke 24: 13-35).  Seek Christ on our road to Emmaus.





Here is a classic view of the path above, and below is a view looking due West from the Eastern edge of Wyoming toward the Pacific (I thought it was a cool perspective).


Also, here are a couple pictures of videos to help illustrate the journey better than I can write.  I met some great people along the way to share this experience with:



And some videos:

The occasional hot breakfast of calorie loading!

The middle of Idaho...

Craters of the Moon National Monument park

Craters of the Moon National Monument park

15 comments:

  1. Dan,

    Great to see you making such progress and going from strength to strength. You are in our prayers daily here in Forest Lake. Your pilgrimage is galvanizing our parish in a beautiful way, and it's obvious you are having the same effect on many along your path.

    Steady on, and may God's Holy Angels protect you!

    Fr. Ben Little

    "For the love of Christ urges us on..." 2 Cor 5:14

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fr. Little,
      Thank you for the perfectly inspiring verse. I thinking of and praying for St. Peter's!
      God bless,
      Dan

      Delete
  2. Hello Daniel, so good to see you are getting enough to eat! ') Your mother always likes to see you are eating enough! You are getting to see things I have never seen. It makes me thank God for His every gift! ALL IS GIFT; the beauty, the people you are meeting along the way, the weather, the protection God has provided and the way God is using you on this mission! What a journey walking with God. It helps us all remember to walk with God every day! Love you, MOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to see that everything is a gift on this journey... that's for sure.
      Thank you, Mom.'
      Love,
      Daniel

      Delete
  3. Dan, Keep up the Journey. It is amazing to see all the opportunities you have had to influences others and their lives.

    The Kids love seeing where you are and all the people you are meeting.
    Your journey has given us a chance to sit and talk with the kids about how God provides in many different ways.

    You are in our prayers.
    The Schertz'
    in North Branch, MN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan
    While reading our daily devotional, for June 1st, we found that it is fitting for your Journey.

    Isaiah 41:13 - I am the Lord your God. I am holding your hand, so don't be afraid. I am here to help you.

    Excerpt from Devotional -

    I am involved in each moment of your life. I have carefully mapped out every inch of your journey through this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, perfectly fitting! Thank your for the thoughtful words!
      God bless,
      Dan

      Delete
  5. If Father Ben is for, who can be against?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really cool to hear about all the people you meet on your journey. It's amazing to see the charity they show to you!
    I'm praying for you!
    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The generosity and friendliness is incredible! God is alive and well!
      God bless,
      Dan

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. James 1 vs 2-3, Persaverance etc...

    Hi Daniel,

    I enjoy reading about your progress. Stay strong. If your looking for some more spiritual encouragement let me know. I will send some more verses. Gods Peace.

    Your brother in Christ, Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the verses! God bless and see you back in the 'Northwoods'!

      Delete
  9. Covering some serious ground there good Sir, glad to see you are upholding your faith and passing along the message to so many along your path.

    Praying for your safe Journey,

    Cheers,

    Nick from Forest Lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick! Keep checking back in.
      Thoughts and prayers back at you,
      Dan

      Delete