Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 80's Reflection

On day 80 I found myself walking in the rain all day long.  It was a nice change from the week prior that was so hot and humid.  Most of my gear was drenched and when walking into the town of Greenfield, OH,  I was not sure where I would spend the night.  I was planning on walking through the night but decided to get a meal beforehand.  I went into a local pizza joint and got to talking with a guy named Pete, and his mother, Beverly.   Before I knew it she had made a few calls and I was going to stay in a bed and breakfast!  I believe it was paid for by her parish.  Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you! What a blessing!  I have never stayed in one of these before and was not sure what to expect.  I ended up having the house to myself.  I was able to clean up and dry out some gear.  In the morning the innkeeper, Brenda, made me breakfast.  We had a good conversation, and I left smiling after enjoying such luxuries.  What a great example of Christian charity on their part!

I recently passed the 2,000 mile marker!  It feels good to have gotten over that hump.  Once I get over the Appalachians it will truly be all down hill from there.  The terrain is slowly starting to change from the crop land that I have seen over the past few states.  The change of scenery is fresh and new and is greatly welcomed!

Something I was reflecting on in light of being happy for this change of scenery is how some days aren't necessarily extraordinary, but rather just a normal, long, strenuous day of walking.  What comes to mind is how this can mirror all of our lives.  Sometimes life is just a day of trying to get by, whether it's going to your job day after day after day.  It can be a grind sometimes.  Sometimes we aren't going to have a promotion, a vacation, an emotional high, a party,  or entertainment...  sometimes life can just be a grind.  But in the midst of these day-to-day trials we must have hope because Christ gave us that (hope).  It is very easy to love God and be thankful when everything is perfect, but when the cornfields grow dull and the feet sore, that is when we must truly hope and be thankful.  And then God brings forth a change of scenery like the Appalachian Mountains.  We must have faith and hope and our Lord will provide.

Then he said to all, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."
-Luke 9:23

---

Also, here is the latest SPOT tracking beacon link of my location:  http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0RqaCWQXIjE7D4bXX0MBtk3Xsm7XdnCAL






2 comments:

  1. Today, as you were traveling in the Winfield, WV area, a gracious Hillbilly pointed you in the direction of a campground. He also shared your encounter, and your calling, on his Facebook page. That man is my childhood friend Casey Spencer. I just thought you might like to know that you are touching lives in ways you may not have ever dreamed possible. You are in my prayers as you complete the final leg of your long journey. May God's richest blessings overtake you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this 'Hillbilly'! Ha! Thanks for passing this along. God is great!

      Delete