Wednesday, July 31, 2013

West Virginia!



It's day 87 and I have covered about 2,200 miles walking and am nearing 5 million footsteps.  I am currently in the mountains of West Virginia.  I have just reached Rainelle along Highway 60, or Midland Trail, which is a National Scenic Byway that used to be an old buffalo trail.  Getting into this beautiful scenery has been awesome!  Also the weather has been cooler and drier.  Since Charleston the road has been paralleling the river with mountains rising quickly on either side of it (the river) with small towns scattered here and there.  This has made the miles more visually captivating.  Your mind is always excited to see what is around the next bend.  People have been great out here!  I had a woman give me a bag filled with a packed lunch (which was amazing),  a guy buy a pizza dinner for me, and a woman named Cheryl let me camp at her campground on the river for free where I was able to enjoy a much needed rest day after a long week of 259 miles since last rest day!  

In the past I have always enjoyed my weekends off from work and the day of rest (Sunday), but have come to truly understand the meaning of the day of rest now.  I do not just look forward to 'not walking', but rather, I NEED it.  By the time the body gets to rest the feet have started to blister, the muscles are fatigued and are ready to relax.  Thanks to Cheryl at the New River Campground in Gauley Bridge, I was able to truly rest.  I sat on the picnic table last night and watched the sunset and the water go by.  It was so peaceful!  I could have sat there all night.  Seems to me that most people can experience God in nature and I would even say it hard not to.  I think we need to help more people experience this gift we have of God's great outdoors.  

I have been counting down the days now.  The Atlantic Ocean is nearing so quickly, but I am fighting, still, to live in the moment and savor every step that remains as well.  Every moment is a precious gift from God.

"Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself."
-Matthew 6:34

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice in it and be glad."
-Psalm 118:24 

Below are some new maps, pictures, and videos to check out too.  Enjoy and thanks for checking in!  Check out how beautiful West Virginia is!!!








And now some videos...






Also, here is the latest Google Earth maps and SPOT tracking beacon link of my location:  http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0RqaCWQXIjE7D4bXX0MBtk3Xsm7XdnCAL








7 comments:

  1. Wow, Dan. You're almost done! It boggles the mind how much you've accomplished when you think about the numbers, the time, the effort, the people, the places, the stories, ALL OF IT! Along with God's constant love and surprises, I hope the thoughts of the finish line and pride in your accomplishments help you feel great in the last miles of your journey. Tread well my friend! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luke. It will be great to be back! God bless!

      Delete
  2. looking good, west virginia! this has been the coolest stretch of weather all summer out here. good timing daniel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny, thanks for following along and I can't wait to get back and see all the friends and family!!!

      Delete
  3. Dan, thank you for stopping in Rocky Mount, Virginia. You gave us a genuinely inspiring testimony of faith. I wrote a blogpost about your visit:

    http://frmarkdwhite.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/crossamerica/

    God bless you and keep you safe! You are welcome here anytime. Fraternally, Father Mark White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so welcoming. Thank you for the kind words and thoughts and prayers and I will make sure to pray for you and your parish as well. Your blog is very cool. Anyone reading this should check it out: http://frmarkdwhite.wordpress.com

      God bless and thanks again!

      Delete
  4. This post brings to mind my favorite verse: James 1:17
    It has been a true joy following your journey!

    ReplyDelete